Making Sustainability Clear // Vagabond shoes
Posted on October 04 2019
Swedish fashion shoe brand Vagabond has been in the industry for more than thirty years. Ever since the start, the idea has been about offering designer shoes and accessories for a global audience, by knowing all there is to know about shoe making.
With this mission to be a global fashion brand comes a great responsibility to think and act sustainable on all levels. For Vagabond, this journey is all about awareness in choice of materials, production, transportation and consumption, whilst at the same time striving for innovations and solutions that can really be a game changer.
But what does this actually mean to the customer ? These are (in brief - for the full report of their inspiring work click here) Vagabond's everyday commitments to making better choices for their customers, workers and the planet.
- Vagabond are committed to select material with less strain on planet and people so chrome-free tanned leather is selected for all components close to bare skin to prevent allergies.
- Organic GOTS-certified cotton replaces conventional cotton for linings and in-socks for less environmental impact.
- Recycled polyester replaces new polyester to save natural resources.
- During 2018 Vagabond have been proceeding with their innovative "glue project" aiming to replace harmful chemicals in production.
- During 2018, Vagabond's remaining stores joined the Shoe Bring Back program. This means that you can leave shoes for systematic reuse and circular recycling in all their concept stores.
- In 2018 Vagabond stated that they aim to reduce their CO2 emissions deriving from goods transport by 50% until 2030.
- Their international sales representatives were trained in sustainability from a global perspective, including Agenda 2030.
- Vagabond now engages in the Leather Working Group (LWG), both by becoming a member of the group and by selecting leather only from tanneries rated by the Leather Working Group.